Certificate of Origin

A Certificate of Origin certifies the country in which a product has been manufactured.

For the export to many countries outside the EU, a Certificate of Origin is a necessary document. Without this certificate, difficulties may arise in the importation into the country of destination. You do not need these certificates in trade between the Member States of the European Union.

A Certificate of Origin may be required because of:

  • Commercial policy reasons; countries want to protect their own industry or agriculture.
  • Political reasons; for example boycott provisions.
  • Fiscal reasons; in many trade agreements and agreements between countries it has been established that the partners can apply mutually reduction or exemption from import duties.

The rules for these certificates are laid down in EU and national legislation. This is fairly easy as long as a product is produced in its entity in one country. This applies, for example, to agricultural products. It is more difficult when products and components that come from different countries are processed in a product.

Certificates of Origin are not only issued to the producer of the goods. A trader or forwarder can also request these documents. He or she must then prove 'the origin' of the goods.

Attention! If you want to ship goods to countries outside the EU, it is important to obtain information from your regional chamber of commerce. You can also go there for the regulations of the importing country, and for detailed information on purpose of use, regulations and issuing.


EUR-1 / EUR-MED Certificate

A EUR.1 Certificate (EUR.1 document) is an origin form with which a discount or exemption on the import duty can be obtained in the European Union. These discounts or exemptions are also called tariff preference. The preference on the basis of a EUR.1 Certificate is only granted in those countries with which the European Union has concluded a free trade agreement. As proof of the preferential origin you can get a EUR. Use 1 or EUR-MED certificate. These documents are not mandatory, but their use can be of great benefit to you or your customer, especially in countries where import duties are high.

Shipments smaller or larger than € 6,000

If a shipment of goods is exported and the value of the total shipment is less than € 6,000, no EUR. 1 document to be formatted. A statement on the invoice can then suffice, the so-called invoice declaration. Note: the rules of origin as they apply to a EUR.1 and EUR-MED Certificate also apply to the invoice declaration.

If a consignment of goods is exported and the total value of the consignment exceeds € 6,000, use must be made of an EUR. 1 or EUR-MED Certificate. These certificates must have been validated by customs in the country of dispatch by means of a 'wet stamp'.

A EUR.1 certificate can also be replaced by an invoice declaration.



Legalization and Certification



The purpose of legalization or certification is to ratify a document by the Chamber of Commerce. A document often must also be endorsed by a consulate or embassy. The latter can only happen after the document has passed the Chamber of Commerce.


Do I need a Legalization or Certification?

The application of this document may be of use to the importing party, because on the basis of this document they can obtain an exemption or discount on the import duties.


CMR shipping document

A CMR document is necessary for the transport of goods across the border: CMR waybills. With such a consignment note the liabilities between the various stakeholders are arranged.


A.TR Certificate

An A.TR certificate is a customs document that you can use when trading between countries in the EU and Turkey. The EU has entered into a customs agreement with Turkey, allowing you to import most goods without import duties. The goods must then come from the EU or Turkey.